Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Strangers in the Box

Thanks to Robert Ragan of the Treasure Maps newsletter for including this piece:



Strangers in the Box

Come, look with me inside this drawer,
In this box I've often seen,
At the pictures, black and white,
Faces proud, still, serene.

I wish I knew the people,
These strangers in the box,
Their names and all their memories
Are lost among my socks.

I wonder what their lives were like.
How did they spend their days?
What about their special times?
I'll never know their ways.

If only someone had taken time
To tell who, what, where, when,
These faces of my heritage
Would come to life again.

Could this become the fate
Of the pictures we take today?
The faces and the memories
Someday to be tossed away?

Make time to save your pictures,
Seize the opportunity when it knocks,
Or someday you and yours could be
The strangers in the box.


Copyright 1997 by Pamela A. Harazim. All Rights Reserved.
May be used in unchanged form for non-commercial
purposes if accompanied by this copyright message.



signature

4 comments:

  1. Hello Mary! I love the poem! Just a technical note: this post has no title and without a title it might be difficult for Google and other search engines to pick it up and list it.

    Thomas MacEntee
    GeneaBloggers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Thomas! It's fixed now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this poem is perfectly delightful! I would like to share your post on my blog, if it's ok with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like it, Jean....please feel free!

    ReplyDelete