Monday, April 13, 2009

Can't Wait for the Weekend!


The earliest records that I have in my Dehority research are land records from Maryland. The Maryland State Archives has a wonderful resource at MdLandRec.net that allows searching for old land records from the comfort of your home. You have to sign up for a username and password, but the record access is free. Here is a sample image. It is an order dated 1715 for a survey of land for one George Dehorty. It is really exciting to come across these old documents. I am lucky enough to live close to Maryland, so this weekend I will be able to attend a workshop given by someone with a lot of experience with these old documents. I hope to maybe find out where these lands were, and how to get the most out of this type of record. Even though I can't directly link my family to this group yet, I know I will someday, as soon as I get over my brick wall.
Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment